Tuesday, November 11, 2014

My first board operator(engineer) on my National Talk Show coast to coast!

   



 Pauly says.....

        About two and a half years ago, I had mentioned I was a board operator for a various radio stations from 1989 to 1996.
This weekend, a little bit of proof of that former life of mine came to light as Stan Major’s first show on SRN was posted on YouTube from October 1, 1991.
Just as I remembered a couple of years ago, I had to pot down the phone numbers that first night because the numbers mentioned were incorrect, and Stan mentions that I should rip off the label on the cart in question! Listening to these first few moments once again for the first time in a couple of decades, I realized either I had him on the wrong microphone, or he had the wrong one on, and it took me a few moments to grasp this.
You could tell right away, even from my board operator’s perch, that Stan was in his own league in terms of the level of skill he brought to the table. I didn’t know much about him at the time (though I’ve learned a great deal afterwards), but I left work that early morning thinking he’d bring stability to my employers, as long as we kept him. 
      He’d wind up at Sonny Bloch’s old Independent Broadcasters Network a year later, which wound up being of the first few nails in Sun’s coffin, as SRN folded on October 31, 1995.
A caller from San Diego (the first of many women to call Stan’s show) ironically asks what happened to Jim Bakker. I say ironically because I wound up meeting him in Charlotte in eight years later.
Thanks to the Neil Rogers YouTube channel for posting in, and Stan Major himself for preserving this piece of tape.
--------------------------
My response...his response and my second response:
.
stan major (the) says: 
November 11, 2014 at 7:40 PM 

you did a good job under the conditions there. when we got rolling it really went well. Can’t believe, even today, that a network would kill the hottest program they have on the air…but they did. and you’re correct in saying we’d learn why shortly, 
...when I went to Sonny’s net overnight (took a day) I took over 100 stations with me….including a few of the biggest and best talk stations in the country.    Nobody at that network believed what they got. ...they did a good job rounding up more stations because the concept of a live all night national call in program was hot hot hot. 
The only causality was one advertiser. The bitch in charge of Oreck buys was ticked off because I forgot to call her to inform of the fast change. Right…I had a lot of time to do that, huh? 
Gold Bond and Ovaltine just shrugged and kept sending the spots and the checks!

...You were a good bd op!

                                   ---------------------------------
Reply

tbpauly says: 
November 11, 2014 at 10:49 PM 

Thanks so much, Stan. Do you remember the Thanksgiving Eve/Morning show in ’91? We had the shortwave station WWCR that night and we were getting calls from all over the world (think the farthest away we got a call from was Germany), wall to wall calls all night long.

stan major (the) says: 
November 11, 2014 at 11:31 PM 

I do…thanks for reminding me.
the owner of the shortwave station wanted us to buy time so he allowed that one broadcast.
I’d love to do that today…wouldn’t you. 
Let’s see if this blog can get any offers!

stanmajor@aol.com

His page:

No comments:

Post a Comment