Thursday, November 14, 2013

cell phones suck

 Life’s changed...for the better?

Kids in the 40's with no tv yet...seemed closer as a family.  My father was in the Army in Persia and the Pacific...until the end of the war in 45. I was ten years old before I really got to know him.
We listened to radio a lot...there were some great shows for kids on radio. The LoneRanger..Superman...Gunsmoke...Captain Midnight...the  Shadow....and a lot of comedy and musical shows like Jack Benny, Amos and Andy, Red Skelton, Fibber McGee and Molly...etc.  
     We were lucky to live across from a large park...so kids were around playing all the time.  It was not unusual to be in the park until after nightfall.  Kids today would be glued to the computer or the tube.  We had nice lakes to swim in (one of my favorite things) and I had two sisters old enough to take me places...movies and ice cream stores etc.
     We seemed closer because of all that and if I jump 20 years ahead....to the 50's and 60's when tv was making it's impact...I can see the difference. 
     Kids generally did not want to watch what Mom and Dad did.  So there really was less "togetherness" despite the fascination of the tube and all it's choices of programs.
     I also see the difference now with the advent of the internet...the cell phone and other divergences that seem to take a lot of time away from family.
Some kids are so intensely texting as they walk from high school to MacDonalds they trip on curbs or cross in front of a cars.  I’m wondering why this intense cell phone obssesion...they seem to be missing life and what are they texting on the sidewalk or in a store that is so important.
Also...it’s not just kids.
Some adults are so busy in stores chatting on their cell phone they can hardly shop.  Then they are still talking on the phone while waiting to check out...bothering everyone else.  That ‘s just plain impolite.  I had the audacity to challenge one woman to hang up and pay attention to the checkout clerk ...and she got really upset with me. “I have every right to talk on my phone”!  Etc etc etc....crazy enough to follow me in her car yelling at me for saying something to her!
Never was like that before.

stanmajor@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment