Saturday, November 9, 2013

Dr: "cut here"!

final roundup...Miami radio

I returned from the vacation in Europe refreshed and ready to welcome our new baby in December...and wondering what to do about work.
Meanwhile...the early morning gig was not sitting well with Neil Rogers and when his contract expired he made a deal to go to WIOD Miami and back to his usual shift 10A to 2P.  No more getting up at 4AM for him.
The shift following Neil became available so I hired on for that with everyone thinking it would be the old magic from Neil and Stan...but the magic was gone. 
All I can say about that is Neil had changed...I hadn’t.  One thing gone was the excellent ACN comedy stuff.  Plus, Neil let me know indirectly that he didn’t want me using his comedy material anymore.
There was very little camaraderie at hanging meals.  It was weird.  He even stole my board operator from me.
Then management decided to move me to early evenings and they hired an idiot from San Francisco who was a total failure here.
I did not get a contract at WIOD...although my ratings were pretty good.  I would be told later...after leaving...that Neil had a hand in the contract issue.  I don’t know if that was true but I knew him well enough to believe it.  My source was one of the managers there.
I had some good shows.  Rodney Dangerfield was a studio guest (Miami Vice was not filming in the city at this time).  The Monkees’ Davy Jones came in for an interview.
The “on the air entourage” I had at WINZ didn’t show it just wasn’t the same.
On the homefront I had moved into Laurie’s townhouse and was heavily into the family mode with Jeffrey and Morgan and planning the route to the hospital at Laurie’s time.
One thing happened which was unpleasant.
A baby raccoon was hiding in a box in our garage and not knowing that I stuck my hand in to find something and got bit.
I had to get the shot treatment until they trapped him and found he was rabies free.  The shots could stop, thank heaven.
I took this time to get a long put off colonoscopy. The doctors found a blip which was removed and was benign.
    Despite the fact that I wasn’t working now...the financial situation was good as I and my two sisters had sold the three farms in Illinois and made nice profits doing it.  My father had retired to his Texas home...and we planned a trip to visit him as soon as the baby could travel.
     Speaking of the baby....the big day had come.
I drove Laurie to the hospital on December 4, 1988 and as she was taken into the delivery room they handed me a gown and mask and told me to put them on.  I was going in for the birth of my baby...stunned and surprised at that.  I was never informed.
But it was great.  I was a bit put off by Laurie’s condition...she kept pleading to go home...but finally our baby boy was born into the world.
Then..before I could think or object...the doctor handed me a pair of surgical scissors and he held the baby up and held the umbilical cord and said “cut”.
I did as ordered and cut my son’s cord! 
I was shocked...and happy and had to get out of there fast before I feinted.  After I sat down for awhile I was all right and able to marvel at what had just happened.  Every father should do had been an experience of a lifetime.
We took baby Christopher home later to see his brother and sister and the rest of Laurie’s family.
Thank God all was fine...and over.
I reminded Laurie...who is a nice Jewish lady..of the Priest in front of a small Catholic church in a medieval village in Switzerland whom I asked to bless the child and the Mother. I had to use hand signals with him as he did not speak English.  He touched her stomach...and made the sign of the cross and they were blessed.  That was a once in a lifetime moment also. 
Morgan and Jeff were ecstatic over having a baby all was well for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment