Friday, December 20, 2013

I don't like accidents...


Friday December 20, 2013
4:45 pm

     Just saw a woman clobbered by an SUV.

     I just saw an accident about an hour ago in front of our Publix supermarket. 
             A driver in a big SUV hit a woman hard...knocking her to the pavement where she lay...eyes open but not moving.
             The whole thing unnerved me  
     I wasn't looking but I heard the screech about 20 feet away from the sidewalk and then looked.  I told a guy with a cell to dial 911...he did...they got there almost immediately.
     As I didn't actually see what happened I felt no need to wait around. I don’t like those kind of things.  there were several people attending the woman and more just standing around and watching as you might guess.
     When  I was about five or so we were visiting my aunt and uncle in Oklahoma City and there was a really bad accident a few blocks away and lots of sirens and emergency vehicles.  
     My uncle insisted that we walk down the street toward the accident and when we got there it was mess...and I mean a big mess.  Injured people lying the street...massive amounts of blood all over the road....several cars smaded to pieces.
     I’ve never gotten that image out of my head so it surely had a negative impact on me at that young age.  My uncle should have realized that...but I never blamed him.
     So...I will stop by an airport and watch the planes take off and land...but I don’t chase ambulances or fire trucks...even as a newsman. 
            And I never really wanted to see the Indy 500...even on television.

stanmajor@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment