Tuesday, July 28, 2015

How about "Doc" and his pink sheet!


An appreciation




                                                                                         repost
      ...Way before there was Drudge...there was the Doc...

     Dr. William Leavell...editor and publisher of the political newsletter The Washington Report...always printed on pink paper, and distributed to every politican in DC...the House, Senate, Administration and press...you name it, they got it.
     Doc first appeared on my local talk show in Tampa on WDAE.  He fast became a regular guest.
     HE  with his devoted wife Patty, were winter residents in the Tampa Bay area and when I went national overnight...he went with me.  He was my guest so often that he might have been dubbed my “co-host”.
      Doc had a lot to say and even though he was careful about revealing stuff he did not hesitate to answer my queries and give me just the facts as he knew them and my national audience loved him.
     And I could always count on him to bring something up each time he appeared...most times something not known by the general press yet.  
     There’s one way to confirm what a person is telling you is probably true and that is Doc, to my knowledge, was NEVER sued for anything he printed or said.  
     Therefore you might disagree with him but give the man his due...he had insiders all over the place telling him stuff and he relayed it one way or another.
     Doc loved to click on C-Span and count the number of congressman who were walking around with the pink sheet sticking out of their pockets. 
     He actually worked for a Congressman many years before and rode the “tooterville trolley” from office to the Capital daily....so he had that insiders vantage as to the workings or lack thereof...our legislature.
     He was conservative...possibly more so than a Rush or a even Pat Bucanan but he was very pro-Israel and I later found out a little about that from a personal letter he sent me some years after he began appearing on my show.
     Doc’s gone now...passed on a few years ago in his native North Carolina home.
     I feel I can reveal his letter now and I will in the next post...unless the Massoud silences me before I do the deed.
     We survived broadcasting together on no less than six major radio networks over the 10-12 year span of the national “Stan Major Show”.
     The total station count through that 12 years approached 500 stations...which ain't bad in anybody's book.
     The political stuff was fun and interesting but the series that Bill Leavell and I did on the final network, National Radio Network, is what I remember most.
     Doc loved political history and had a knack of responding to anything regardless of how long ago it happened or who was involved.
     So I wanted to do a series where on each show he appeared we would dissect one President at a time.  We did and of course we started with George Washington and went right up the years until his last President...George Bush (the younger).
      The series was so good it should have been placed in every library in America.  Not only did Doc lay out the actual historic highlights of each man in the White House...he also had dozens of tidbits that brought each First Family to life. 
     Where did he find all that info?  Well he did and you can see why such a prestigious institution as Cambridge University in England would honor him and they did....and he flew there to take part and accept the honors.  He was most proud of that, I believe.
     So was I.
 God be with you Doc...we loved you!

POSTER'S NOTE:  OF ALL THE POSTS I'VE WRITTEN I'M MOST PROUD OF THIS ONE AND THE "MOM" POST.
I'M ALSO PLEASED THAT THE LEAVELL FAMILY, SON BILL (FORMER JUDGE)... WIFE CYNDI AND THE KIDS AND DOC'S BELOVED WIFE "PATTY" WERE ABLE TO SEE THIS AND RESPOND.
THANK YOU ALL!

 stanmajor@aol.com



No comments:

Post a Comment